Thursday 18 April 2013

TAG does cover Villefranche, honest

Hi Val
I know Villefranche is a bit outside the strict TAG area but we have a

Tarn et Garonne address and it is our nearest town!

The square in Villefranche certainly is in need of attention but the

proposed fountain has caused a huge amount of controversy with

complaints that the mayor has proceeded with the project despite local

opposition.


They promised the work would be done during the winter and finished in

time for the tourist season - no surprise then, this being France, that

the work starts on market day after the Easter holiday. Today the market

stalls were relocated in their temporary home beside the Halle behind

the cathedral and the square was deserted. Protesters were painting

slogans on long banners under the arcades berating the project and the

mayor!


I heard a bit of muttering amongst the customers but traders seemed to

be putting on a brave face and looking forward to getting back into the

square in July - quite how it will work with the fountain I'm not sure.

I haven't really got worked up about the issue of the fountain but I

love Villefranche, especially on market day, and I look forward to the

square being filled once more with the colour and bustle of the stalls.

I do hope they stop car parking in the square on other days too as it so

spoils the atmosphere of the place.


Sue Carter

Val says, I like the photo, and is that Trevor I see?