Tuesday 2 April 2013

Two of my many river adventures in France

This is  bit of a funny story, but is a warning about the dangers of rivers.
About 3 years ago we were taking a computer to be repaired at Villefranche. Whilst Malc took the computer to the shop I walked the dogs along the banks of the Aveyron. I had Bonny the retriever and our little westie Daisy ( who has since died) on their leads. We were  having a nice walk till some ducks flew onto the water near us, the dogs raced down the steep muddy banks and stopped at the waters edge. I was pulled down the muddy bank and got on a slide and was propelled headfirst into the muddy river. An old lady walking past started screaming and shouting for help. I managed to crawl out and assurred her I was fine but she  was in a state of real panic and I was quite concerned about her. Malc heard all the commotion and arrived and calmed her down. I was in my best going out to town clothes wet from head to toe... and the dogs still dry.  Well, they were looking at me adoringly with tails wagging like fury, thinking " she's so much fun , our Mum"  A story with a happy ending but it could have been so much worse.
The second story took place in Varen and was with a friend who has now died and his partner and me and Malc. The friend had bought a wooden flat bottomed Lot boat  and was preparing to launch it down by the Moulin of Varen. We decided we needed to get dressed up including hats and take out with us a bottle or two of champagne. We strolled past the restaurant in our best gear giving a cheery wave of the oars to all the diners. We launched the boat Lily and set of upstream having lots of fun, laughter and champagne. I suddenly decided I would like to change ends and stood up to walk along the boat and promptly the boat tipped and I was propelled overboard. Sad really as I had spent the minutes before saying how green the water was and I would not like to swim in it. Once I was ungainly hauled back in, the gentleman divested themselves of bits of clothing to give me as I was so wet. So we all ended up looking a ramshackle bunch. Imagine our mortification as we walked past those same diners... no cheery wave of oars this time.
What is scary is I have many more stories like this. How has our marriage lasted 47 years?
Said to Malc , bit like " Sanders of the River " my stories and Malc thinks know one will know what I am talking about, but I bet some would.

Comments to  taglines82@gmail.com